Saturday, December 21, 2013

Fenway Gets a baby sister!


Hello Joise Mae... 

          I have a new baby sister!  Grandma Bobby tells me you have a baby sister too.  My "baby sister" is a Border Collie dog named Nessie.  I understand your baby sister is a real baby girl named Hadley.  Nessie is only 7 months old, a couple of months younger than Hadley.  But Nessie can walk and run and she is fast and she can be very loud when she barks.  Is Hadley very loud when she barks? -  OH! ...  I forgot real babies don't bark, they cry - right?  

       I had no idea I was about to get a baby sister.  One day Grandma Bobby got in the car very early in the morning.  She didn't come home that night.  I was worried - where was she?  The next day she was gone all day.  Luckily Grandpa Larry was home and he fed me dinner and breakfast the next day.  Grandma Bobby got home very late the night after she left.  She had a baby dog with her.  She told me the dog was named Nessie and that Nessie was going to live with us and would be my baby sister.

     WHAT?  Wait just a minute.  I am a cat!  I am a Maine Coon cat... How can a dog be my sister?  And how can a dog that is bigger than me be my BABY sister?  I was not sure at all that I liked this! Grandma Bobby told me that Nessie was just a baby and that she needed to learn a lot of things that I already had learned because I am older.  I am almost 3 years old.  I know you are already 3.  3 year olds like us know a lot of things don't we?  We understand where we are supposed to eat.  We know we should not chew up the couch pillows (Nessie didn't know that - she does now!)  We know we should not yell or MEOW or bark loudly or cry when we don't get what we want.  (- Really Nessie does NOT know this..... if she wants her dinner and she doesn't get it right away she barks and barks and she is LOUD! -  Does Hadley cry and cry when she is hungry?  Is she loud?)  

   Grandma Bobby says that since I live with her and Grandpa Larry, this is my home.  Now Nessie lives here too - it is her home.  That makes her a part of our family - that makes her my sister.  Grandma Bobby says that Nessie and I both came from shelters.  I remember when Grandma Bobby and Grandpa Larry got me from the shelter.  I was very happy that I got to live in their home.  I think that Nessie is very happy to live in our home with us.  Grandma Bobby said the shelter where Nessie was had lots of space, was a big farm and only had Border Collie dogs living there (and it was very far from here - 500 miles away!).  Grandma Bobby said before Nessie was brought to that Border Collie shelter she did not have enough food to eat or water to drink.  She had a lot of ticks on her and was very very thin.  But the people at the  shelter gave her lots of food and water and took all those nasty ticks off her.  She looks very good now.  I felt sorry that she had a hard life before she got to the shelter.  I remembered how hard it was living outside in the cold all by myself before I got to the shelter I used to live in.  That was hard, I did not like it living by myself.  The shelter had food, water and was warm.  But I was in a small cage and I was still scared.  I LOVE living in a big house with only 2 people and not a lot of loud smelly other cats.  

   So - I guess I will share my home with a baby dog who needs a home.  She is loud, and she is a baby so she doesn't know how to be very gentle with cats (ME!) ... she sometimes chases me - but I turn around and hiss at her and she stops.  ..... I am teaching her to be more gentle.  And I am teaching her how to play games.  We have a couple of good games that are fun for both of us and I bet I can think of more games.  

     Being a big brother is sometimes hard - and sometime it is lots of fun.  Is that the way it is when you are a big sister?  

      But really I don't quite understand how a handsome Maine Coon Cat has a Border Collie dog that is larger than me ... but is still a baby .... for a sister!   Especially one that takes her naps on MY side of the couch.  (Just another thing I have to teach Nessie -  which end of the couch is MINE and which end is hers!)  

      Being a big brother is a lot of hard work.  I need a cat nap.  I will have to take it on the bed I guess. 


Love from Fenway (your family's Maine Coon Cat)

No comments:

Post a Comment